Skip to main content

I Am Depressed Not Sad

In September 2010 I released my very first book called Hope's Journey where I opened shared my struggle and victory over depression, suicide and self harming.  Since that day I have had a couple of mild relapses into my old ways but can honestly say that today I am completely free of any temptation or desire to self harm in any way.  Perhaps the darkness became deeper after the book was released because I felt exposed or perhaps it was 'someone' trying to rob me of my testimony.  Times were especially difficult in the weeks before I was scheduled to publicly speak on this subject or share my testimony.  At times the struggle was intense but I knew that many would be encouraged by my story so I knew I had to stay strong and remain in victory or else too much would be lost.

It had been a battle before Hope's Journey was released and continued to be a different sort of battle afterwards too.  At times I wondered if complete freedom would ever be possible but I continue to believe that it is possible.  Sadly, many people confided in me about their struggle with depression and it seemed that it is a bit of a taboo subject in churches.  This must stop - we must start to open up about this subject and to learn to understand those who suffer with this horrible illness.  Part of my struggle has been shame.  I felt ashamed that I have this struggled and felt guilty at times too.  Questions such as , "Did I cause this?" or  "Was I irresponsible by being too busy?" plagued my mind adding even more pressure to my already heavy load.

Let's make an effort to grow in understanding of the things that people face in the world around us. In times when we don't understand, the best thing to do is say little and listen as much as possible.  Words spouted in ignorance can be really damaging to someone struggling.  So to kick start the conversation let me mention some things that you might not know about depression.

Depression is not sadness so don't tell someone who is depressed to cheer up.  If they could cheer themselves up they would.  Try be patient with them and if they are very close to you - make an effort to learn about what they are going through so you can better support them.

Depression is not a sign of weakness so don't expect it to go away by itself.  It is a medical condition that requires treatment just like any other medical condition. Yes God can heal any medical condition and is bigger than illness but at the same time there is nothing wrong with receiving treatment when you are ill. Hope's Journey contains a lot of non-medical tips that can help manage depression but it is advisable to see a doctor too as there are times when antidepressants will do wonders. 

If you have struggled or are struggling with depression, please feel free to share your struggle with us in the comment box below. My aim in writing this post is to encourage others who are suffering alone to speak freely about how they feel. You are not alone and there is nothing to be ashamed of. Find our more about Hope's Journey  here   

Read the next post:

Life Happens - Christians and Depression

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conference Feedback

We had a beautiful day together on 8th September, thank you so much to you all for your incredible support and prayers. Feedback and testimonies have already started flooding in, have a read of some of them here . Also, keep an eye on our YouTube page as we update it with the speakers messages and conference highlight videos. We had the stunning Instruments of Praise gospel choir lead us in worship and it was truly heavenly. We also had Daughters of Davis who absolutely blew us away with their fantastic acoustic folk/soul vibe. Our Women in Business section was a real treat with stalls offering all sorts of beautifully displayed goods. Jill Chitty from the Entrepreneurs Circle spoke to the women in business offering practical tips for business growth. Other breakout sessions included a Hope for Justice talk by Naomi and Cynthia shared her testimony of life as a Samburu woman . Molly Catherine Beebee from Cirencester Creative Dance Academy dazzled us with

For Such a Time As This

Hello King's Daughters, It's been a while since I've been in touch and King's Daughters has been very quiet, in fact totally dormant.  During this time of dormancy, a seed has been growing inside of me and it's so strong that I have to seriously consider if it's God saying "It's time".  Time to start taking back what the enemy has stolen from us. Time to fight for our families, schools, churches, communities and nation. Time to pray together and be proactive, not reactive to what is going on in the world today. Time to talk about the complex topics that our churches may not be ready to discuss openly such as gender confusion and mental health issues. Time to learn how to generate an income or second income by using what's in our hands and to have extra to be generous to the world around us as we face economic uncertainty.  Time to find balance when everyone else is consumed by busyness. I have a story to tell, a struggle I've been through t

Hope's Journey

"There was a time when all I wanted was to die but now that I have tasted life I really don’t want to die until I have truly lived!" Hope's Journey is a heart wrenching account of Angela's struggle with depression and suicide.   "This book is helpful for people that are going through tough times as well for those who are trying to support them. It gives valuable insight into the feelings experienced in the midst of the situations as well as the tools Angela used to find her way through them. The tools are useful for anyone trying to find hope in dark situations, whatever they may be, and are helpful for leading a stronger, more balanced life." Ali Kirkwood  Available at: Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Kindle StudyGuide: Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | More Info  Contents: Introduction Suicide Eat, Sleep & Exercise Have a Checkup First Things First Make Hope Make List Tell Someone Choose Your Friends Understand Hormo