Skip to main content

Free from the Past

I felt sick to my stomach! I had just realised what I had done and I was panicking. What was I thinking, why did I do this? But it was too late, it was published as an eBook and I had already started getting pre-orders for the paperback. I suppose I could have withdrawn it from print. Oh my goodness, what I had I done, what will people think of me? 

I shared my panic with Eric as he sat in bed giving the book one more read before we finalised it. I looked at him and fear hit me. What if he didn’t realise what I had wrote? What if after this final read, he changed his opinion of me? What if he thought that the 'old' Angela, the person in the book, was the present Angela? 

Earlier that morning a good friend had started probing me, asking if there was anything I wasn’t telling her. She had been reading the chapter snippets I had released on my blog and she seemed concerned. Her concern was that I was writing for cathartic purposes and I sensed she was even more deeply concerned that I was trapped in some sort of sin that I wasn’t telling her. My concern was that she thought I was still capable of such filth! Perhaps I was reading too much into her email, perhaps those were not her concerns at all. Perhaps I was panicking for no reason. 

Passion & Purity is an intense book containing great deal detail about my sordid past. I knew it would be a difficult story to admit to, but until that morning I had not doubted that it was a story that I had to share.  I watched Eric read the pages yet again. What was he thinking? What if he realised what I had done? The ‘what ifs’ began again.

“Darling, do you really have to read it again? It has been edited, I am sure it is fine and ready to print.”

“Yes, I have to read it slowly just to be sure there are no mistakes. We don’t want to rush like we did with Hope’s Journey, look what happened with that one!”

Ashamedly I recalled how Hope's Journey was printed with quite a few errors.  I agreed that we should not rush the editing process.

“OK, but can’t you skip the first two chapters? It can’t be nice for you to read all those details? Will you still love me?”

“Well.... I don’t know,” Eric said with a sly grin on his face. He was teasing me of course because to him it was a silly question. He gave me a big hug and said,

“Darling, I know who you are and nothing will change that. I will always love you. I have read your story, I know your past and I know that that is not who you are now.”

With that beautiful reassurance I walked away remembering the truth. I know who I am, Eric knows who I am and God knows who I am. I write my stories about the filth of my past so that others can be free from their past too. I write so that they can see my struggle and see how God set me free from all the guilt and shame. My story is important. I am free from my past, truly free. I know who I am today and I know that the person I write about is a different person. All things have passed away, they truly have.

I am free indeed, the only kind of freedom that truly lasts forever – the ‘indeed’ kind as mentioned in the Bible in John 8:36.

I am a new creation, truly a new person, a new being, not a better version of the old person. I am created again – a new creature, old things have passed away and ALL things have become new. Those words are in the Bible in 2 Corinthians 5:17, I didn’t make them up, God said them!  It is in this knowledge and from this freedom that I write my story, my testimony. Eric continued to read through my story and I stopped panicking because I remembered the truth. The truth that once set me free is the same truth that continues to keep me free. I am free indeed. Are you free from your past? Have you become a new creation? Are you sure? You see, I thought I was free for many years, until I ended up like a dog returning to its vomit ! 

What was the difference between then and now? Grace! The first time I rebuilt my life I tried really, really hard. I worked at it. I did my best. I stayed focused. I earned it! When I ran out of strength and couldn’t keep it up any more, I fell back into my old ways. It was then, in the filth of my fallen state that I realised that no matter how I hard I tried I couldn‘t do it myself. It was then that I asked God for his help. He responded with such love and mercy, with tenderness and grace.

Ephesians 2:8
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,

Find out how I found true freedom from my past in my new book, 'Free'. More chapter snippets will follow soon, full details about this book are available here

Are you truly free from your past or are you trying really hard to be a good girls?  Share you thoughts in the comment box below and I will share more of how to find true freedom in the amazing grace of God

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hope's Journey

"There was a time when all I wanted was to die but now that I have tasted life I really don’t want to die until I have truly lived!" Hope's Journey is a heart wrenching account of Angela's struggle with depression and suicide.   "This book is helpful for people that are going through tough times as well for those who are trying to support them. It gives valuable insight into the feelings experienced in the midst of the situations as well as the tools Angela used to find her way through them. The tools are useful for anyone trying to find hope in dark situations, whatever they may be, and are helpful for leading a stronger, more balanced life." Ali Kirkwood  Available at: Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Kindle StudyGuide: Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | More Info  Contents: Introduction Suicide Eat, Sleep & Exercise Have a Checkup First Things First Make Hope Make List Tell Someone Choose Your Friends Understand Hormo

Conference Feedback

We had a beautiful day together on 8th September, thank you so much to you all for your incredible support and prayers. Feedback and testimonies have already started flooding in, have a read of some of them here . Also, keep an eye on our YouTube page as we update it with the speakers messages and conference highlight videos. We had the stunning Instruments of Praise gospel choir lead us in worship and it was truly heavenly. We also had Daughters of Davis who absolutely blew us away with their fantastic acoustic folk/soul vibe. Our Women in Business section was a real treat with stalls offering all sorts of beautifully displayed goods. Jill Chitty from the Entrepreneurs Circle spoke to the women in business offering practical tips for business growth. Other breakout sessions included a Hope for Justice talk by Naomi and Cynthia shared her testimony of life as a Samburu woman . Molly Catherine Beebee from Cirencester Creative Dance Academy dazzled us with

For Such a Time As This

Hello King's Daughters, It's been a while since I've been in touch and King's Daughters has been very quiet, in fact totally dormant.  During this time of dormancy, a seed has been growing inside of me and it's so strong that I have to seriously consider if it's God saying "It's time".  Time to start taking back what the enemy has stolen from us. Time to fight for our families, schools, churches, communities and nation. Time to pray together and be proactive, not reactive to what is going on in the world today. Time to talk about the complex topics that our churches may not be ready to discuss openly such as gender confusion and mental health issues. Time to learn how to generate an income or second income by using what's in our hands and to have extra to be generous to the world around us as we face economic uncertainty.  Time to find balance when everyone else is consumed by busyness. I have a story to tell, a struggle I've been through t